Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Hugging update...

Well each day gets crazier and crazier with how many people are interested in this story. Nobody can believe it. So since I last posted I will try and remember everything that has happened.

Megan and family had their picture and story on the front page of the Belleville News Democrat http://www.bnd.com/homepage/story/171432.html that is the link to yesterdays front page story, she as on the front page again today you can get to today's link from that one I believe. She is in the St. Louis Post dispatch I don't think its posted online yet because I couldn't find it, but it should be there soon. Anderson Coopers show sent a reporter and camera man to interview the family today. They filmed her getting ready for school and getting on the bus and then went to the school (and got kicked off the property) and filmed her getting off the bus. They will interview them today after school and it will air tonight at 9pm on CNN Anderson Cooper 360. She was on two local radio shows this morning. She did a wonderful job and spoke very well and didn't sound nervous at all. She was great!! The TODAY show called and wants to fly them all out first class and put them up in a 5 star hotel and have them on the show in the morning. Unfortunately they can't fly out there. We have parent teacher conferences tomorrow, they have already committed to FOX and Friends for a broadcast in the morning, and Melissa has nursing school. So they said they will send a satellite truck out and do a live feed from their home in the morning. I don't know what time it will be on but I will try and hop back on here and let you know so check back later.

I just can't believe how this has blown up from a simple hug. Melissa never expected all this. One thing I have to mention that I didn't realize before was that Megan's warning that she got for hugging a couple weeks ago was at a FOOTBALL game our Varsity boys are playing in the playoffs, and when they won Megan hugged another friend and Mr. Blakley was there and saw her and gave her a warning. Now tell me that is not CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How insane is that!!! Totally uncalled for if you ask me!!!

The 8th grade kids (at least Kristophers bunch of friends and from what I understand allot more) have all texted and emailed/imed each other and before Homeroom tonight which is the last class of the day are going to hug random people in the hallway. I laughed when he told me. I should really encourage him not to do this, but I really think its funny and they are showing support to their fellow student and friend. So I just told him to be careful, and what are they going to do give every single person in 8th grade an after school detention? And if they do big deal! Its something I would have done if I were in school and this happened.

Oh and Melissa has gotten calls from all over the country saying they heard the story on their local news or in their local paper or on the local radio stations. Some have even said they are going to call the school district on their behalf. Isn't that just crazy!! So even though you aren't local here you may still here the story in your local news!! :-)

Let me know if you do!! We are interested to see how far its reaching and what people are saying. Like I said Melissa had no idea this would happen. Her goal was just to get the rule changed and when Mr. Blakley refused to budge and Dr. McGowan the Superintendent didn't call back, this is what she decided she would do. (of course he did call once the reporters started calling him, but only with threats of more serious action if Megan did not serve the detention). Melissa never expected this. Its all just so insane!! If you google hugging in mascoutah, IL look at all the info that pops up!! CRAZY!!!!!

1 comment:

Mama B said...

It is sad that schools have to do this now days. I can see both sides really. It's not fair to get a detention for hugging your friend BUT it is also not fair just to give a detention for hugging if it is a boy. Now PDA is very serious in schools. Schools do not tolerate it at all. It is sad to say, but I would be surprised if they do anything to change it. If they did, they would have to change every school in the nations policies. NOW they could be a little more easy going about it. I mean a hug seriously? Now that is just stupid. It is awesome how much media attention it is getting though. Good for her!