I wanted a dog that I could LOVE and until now I haven't been able to find that "connection". So since she died we have gone through a LOT of dogs. My husband says I have a nack for picking out the most RETARDED of all dogs.
Well this time we went to Spencer Kennel http://www.spencerkennel.com/ a great no kill shelter not to far from here. I went just to LOOK. A few months back you may remember that my friend Kari and I went to an Oprah Show and it was about doggy mills and how you should always adopt dogs from kennels/shelters. It showed video of these horrible places called Doggy Mills, they are treated so poorly and over bread!! They never get to leave their kennel and walk on sharp wires all their lives! Ever since that show I have wanted even more to have that connection with my pet. I didn't have it with the dog that we had. So I went to Spencers just to see what they had.
Well this time we went to Spencer Kennel http://www.spencerkennel.com/ a great no kill shelter not to far from here. I went just to LOOK. A few months back you may remember that my friend Kari and I went to an Oprah Show and it was about doggy mills and how you should always adopt dogs from kennels/shelters. It showed video of these horrible places called Doggy Mills, they are treated so poorly and over bread!! They never get to leave their kennel and walk on sharp wires all their lives! Ever since that show I have wanted even more to have that connection with my pet. I didn't have it with the dog that we had. So I went to Spencers just to see what they had.
I walked down the long dog runs with Dillon and one of their volunteers looking at all the very loud barking dogs. I came to a run with 4 or 5 dogs in it. They were all just laying there not doing much one had her tounge hanging out and barely gave me a glance when I walked by, when I went in to the runs I knew I was going to look for a dog that was not barking and jumping on the gate. I know they calm down when they aren't in there but for me that was what I was looking for. I asked about all the small dogs in that run and she told me they had just picked them up that week from a DOGGY MILL!!! Ok so my heart melted right then when I heard that knowing how these poor dogs are treated!! I kept looking because I wanted to look at ALL the dogs. She took us to Willow a beautiful all white terrier of some kind. She told us what a great dog she was. The owner dropped her off because she traveled allot with her job and just couldn't care for her anymore. She took her out of the run and took her out front and played with her. She put her head right up underneath my arm right away she didn't lick YEAH!! another thing I can't stand but she would up her nose up to you to let you know she liked ya. She was so sweet!!
The whole time I'm thinking about the little dog with her tounge hanging out. I asked if I could see her as well. I took her in my arms and she just nuzzled up to my neck and stayed there. Ok can you say IN LOVE!!!! I couldn't decide what to do, I knew Cotton would NOT be thrilled with any dogs much less TWO! I asked Dillon what he thought we should do. He wanted them both!! I told him I didn't think Cotton would like that. So we went and picked up Kristopher and brought him back to the kennel. He fell in love with them both. He has a HUGE heart and loves animals and when i told him all that was wrong with the little puppy mill dog (which I will explain in a bit) his poor little heart broke for her.
So long story short we asked if we could do foster care for the little puppy mill dog and adopt Willow. They gave us an even better deal, they let us take Willow home for the weekend to see how things went. That was a GREAT idea!! I wish I would have done that with all the other dogs we bought. Willow worked out great with our family! She has just fit right in. Except for a minor snip at a friend for some strange reason she has been great. She didn't snip or anything at the groomer so I'm not sure what the deal was that night. It was our first full day with her so I don't know if she was just skiddish or what. But anyway we love her and shes just great!
The little foster dog named Bailey came home with us that day as well. (the day we went back to adopt Willow). I just couldn't get her out of my mind I had to bring her home so after we had some time alone with Willow we went back to the Kennel and adopted Willow and took Bailey home! A couple of nights ago my neighbor thought about adopting and Cotton told her they could just have our foster dog. I couldn't believe he said that I was shocked. He has been loving on both the dogs, which if you had seen cotton with our other dogs you would know thats a shocker! So I asked him why he said that and he said "well she is just a foster dog right" and I just kinda smiled at him while cuddling with Bailey and he said "you're going to keep her aren't you"? I replied "well I had kinda hoped she would grow on you" and I was right!! His response was "well she kinda has I feel so bad for the poor thing, you can keep her if you want" :) SO YEAH!!! I called the kennel today and set it up!! She may even give me a deal she was going to figure out how much money she has into her and let me know a price!! I'm so excited!! She is so sweet!!
Bailey has a few things wrong with her she has had an injury to her left eye so instead of it protruding like its suppose to its shrunk and sunk in the vet says she has poor vision in that eye and she can't track me at all from that side. Her other eye doesn't have great vision either. Her legs are VERY bowed and she has a hard time walking. She can only go a little bit before she has to sit or she stumbles. She has only four teeth one on each side on the top and bottom. Her tounge hangs out because she has no teeth and her jaw is/was broken. Everyone (other than Tom and Cecil) who sees her just loves her and thinks she is just the sweetest thing. Some say she has a face only a mother can love!! And boy do I!!!
So here are our new babies! Bailey is 6 ro 7 and Willow is about 1.

No comments:
Post a Comment